Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"A One and Only Is Enough For Me" is up at The Broad Side

This is something that has been on my mind for a long time. There is a lot of backlash in this society concerning family, lack thereof, and choices people make. Here, I talk about not feeling guilty in having an only child and why I chose to do so.

Thanks to The Broad Side for publishing it!

From the article:

"When people see I have only one child, I get the inevitable questions: “When’s the next one coming along?”, “Don’t you want your daughter to have a brother or sister?”, “Don’t you want another?” And then the funny, quizzical looks when I reply, “One is enough for me,” or the more direct “No, I don’t want anymore.” I enjoyed being pregnant with my daughter and I love being her mother. I’d just rather not do it again.
Society expects a woman to have more than a few children, to build a family. If there are no children, or just one, there is the assumption that “something is wrong.” Women don’t need that kind of judgment. Does not wanting children make me or others less of a woman? No. There is nothing wrong with making the choice not to have any (or more) children. I made the decision not to have any more and I don’t regret it."

No comments:

Post a Comment