Thursday, April 11, 2013

PoemCity'13 Poem Displayed at Chill Vermont Gelato, Montpelier, Vermont

Here is the poem that is displayed in PoemCity'13 at Chill Vermont Gelato in Montpelier, Vermont. PoemCity2013 (previously PoetryAlive!) has been happening every April for the past three years in celebration of National Poetry Month in conjunction with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library, Vermont College of Fine Arts, Montpelier Alive and several other local businesses.

There are exhibits, a full text display of nearly 200 poets throughout town at various stores, readings, workshops and poetry related events the entire month of April. All events are open to the public and free of charge.
Find out more about PoemCity/MontpelierAlive! here and be sure to check out their blog.

To see the poem from last year, "The Last Pregnancy," go here

Read the text below.



About the Jewelry-

On receiving a box of my Grandmother’s jewelry a year after her death

I sold your rings.
I hope you aren’t too bothered by that
Or the fact that it was mere days
Before your birthday.
But, what was I going to do
With fifteen different rings?
And grandiose ones at that.
I did, however, keep
Four of them-
Simple, unobtrusive, small things.
Our style was never quite the same.
You might be surprised
I still have your Peridot ring
Given to you by your black-sheep uncle
When you were thirteen,
Passed on to my mother,
Then to me,
To my own daughter eventually.
It’s still in the same setting
As far as I know,
But needs a good cleaning.
I wore that for years.
You never knew.

(Please don't repost/reprint without permission)




No comments:

Post a Comment