Thursday, January 19, 2012

Books I Read in 2011

LIFE, Keith Richards (Little, Brown & Company)
Amazing. He was always crazy and bad-ass! Seriously, though, an excellent book. I was laughing most of the way through in incredulity. I mean, do I really need to say anything more? Read it. You'll love it.

Grimm's Tales for Young and Old, translated by Ralph Manheim (Anchor)
I read some of these to my 7 year old daughter. She asked me to!! I kept telling her that these stories are not like the movies; that Cinderella is not in a sparkling blue dress and Disney-fied. Still, she wanted me to read, and I thought-well, OK! She freaked out a little when I came to the wicked step-sisters, the golden shoes and the blood.....I read the rest of the book to myself.

Culinaria: Hungary; Spain (HF Ullman)
I love these books-so pretty, so delicious. There are many more in the series.

As Always, Julia: the Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, Edited by Joan Reardon (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
This not only follows the evolution of one of the most popular cookbooks ever, but also gives excellent insight into 1950's/mid-twentieth century publishing. Yes, I watched Julie and Julia. I have to admit, I liked the part about Julia better. It was a good movie. Funny, that Mastering the Art of French Cooking was initially turned down by Houghton Mifflin. Oh well.

What to Tip the Boatman, Cleopatra Mathis (The Sheep Meadow Press) (poetry)
I heard her read at the VCFA summer residency and she was amazing. She read from this book and a few others.

Late Wife, Claudia Emerson (Louisiana State University Press) (poetry)
I heard her read at VCFA as well. Powerful presence. Powerful words.

Wildly Affordable Organic, Linda Watson (Da Capo Press)
Great book! Delicious recipes, great ideas for eating organic on a budget. I've cooked from it and the recipes are super easy to follow.

All-American Poem, Matthew Dickman (American Poetry Review, winner of the Honickman First Book Award)
I've seen this man read poetry. Such a showman. It's always a great show! I know they get compared all the time, but I do want to mention that he has a twin brother, Michael, who also writes poetry. I find it absolutely remarkable that they write so damn well, and their poetry is so very different.

Complete Book of Home Preserving by Ball (Robert Rose, Inc.)
I did a lot of canning in 2011. It was all good. Particularly the cranberry sauce with fruit and rum-yum!

Wicked Bugs/Wicked Plants, Amy Stewart (Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill)
Interesting, but kind of gross.

The Thanksgiving Table, Diane Morgan (Chronicle)
Great themed cookbook for the holidays-so delicious. She also has The Christmas Table.

Not Your Mother's Casseroles, Faith Durand (Harvard Common Press)
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker, Beth Hensperger & Julie Kauffman (Harvard Common Press)
I use both of these quite often. The slow cooker book a little more, though.

Anjum's Eat Right for Your Body Type, the Super Healthy Detox Diet Inspired by Ayurveda, Anjum Anand (Da Capo Press)
This is in pretty heavy rotation in the kitchen. Recipes based on Ayurvedic practices. Particularly the beet/goat cheese/balsamic vinegar recipe. Yum.

Best Food Writing 2011, Holly Hughes (Da Capo Press)

POETRY Magazine
I read all issues from 2011

Hunger Mountain
Issues: Menagerie and At the top of the stairs (of course! :) )

Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life, Claudia Welch (Da Capo Press)
Women: you need to read this. There is just so much information in here about how hormones actually work, what to do to balance them out through diet and other things. There is a whole chapter dedicated to bio-identical/hormone therapies, what they do and how safe they actually are. Certainly worth the read. Very easy to read, despite heavy information.

Indiana Review-various issues

Bellevue Literary Review-various issues

Just Tell Me What to Eat! The Delicious 6-Week Weight Loss Plan For the Real World Timothy S Harlan, MD
(Da Capo/Lifelong Books)

 Loving this book! Not your basic, traditional weight loss/diet book. Delicious recipes, real, healthy food. Focusing on a more Mediterranean diet.


Safe From the Sea, Peter Geye
(Unbridled Books)
Unbridled Books seems to be putting out some amazing things lately (The Descent of Man/Kevin Desinger, for example). Check them out.

Sheepish: Two Women, Fifty Sheep and Enough Wool to Save the Planet, Catherine Friend
(Da Capo/Lifelong Books)

In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan
(The Penguin Press)

Potty Training Girls the Easy Way, Caroline Fertleman MD & Simone Cove
(Da Capo/Lifelong Books) *Potty training easy-yeah right!*

One Year to an Organized Life with Baby, Regina Leeds & Megan Francis

(Da Capo/Lifelong Books)


------------------
Check out other book lists!

Books I Read in 2010
Books I Read in 2013

Another List for Recommendation. I cataloged Books I Owned (2006). 
My Own Library, part 1
My Own Library, Part 2
My Own Library, Part 3
My Own Library, Part 4
My Own Library, Part 5

2 comments:

  1. I was immediately drawn to Grimm's Tales because, being a Portlander, I've been watching Grimm on TV. Quite fascinating. Always fun to share a reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte-thanks for stopping by! I started watching Grimm, but just haven't kept up with it. Looks interesting though!

      Delete