Monday, July 05, 2010

Grocery Shopping on the 4th of July

If this doesn't make you want to grow your own food, I don't know what will.

Yesterday, I was at The Grocery Store-just your average supermarket. I only had to pick up a few things.
Lemons were at the top of the list, to make lemonade. They were nowhere to be found. Strange, I thought. I asked the guy a couple aisles down unloading produce where I could find them. After some hunting around, we found them.

They were next to the broccoli in the vegetable section.
Hm. Okay.

Next on the list: peaches. Nothing like ripe, juicy peaches on a hot summer day. I was so looking forward to them. The entire batch of yellow peaches were squishy and soft, so much so that when I picked one up and applied light pressure, the skin actually broke, revealing a brownish flesh.
Onto the white peaches-not sure what was happening here, but there was some kind of clear white sticky stuff on most of the peaches.

By this time, I'm thinking-what is going on here? Generally, I have not seen the produce in this particular store like this and was quite surprised.
They have an organic section of produce where I thought, perhaps, the peaches would at least look a little better. Not so. I actually found white, fuzzy mold on most of the peaches.

To top it all off, the lemons themselves looked unhealthy.

I understand it was the holiday (4th of July) and the store was probably short-staffed, but there is no excuse for the poor state of produce in that store.

You better believe I complained and spoke to the manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment