Thursday, March 25, 2010

Books Added to My Library (March '10)

The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
This came recommended. Amazing story about the search for Vlad the Impaler, aka Dracula, taking us back and forth through time, across Europe. Very engrossing tale. Dark, close, encompassing. Although, towards the end, the author seems to get a little lost in historical detail, which totally turned me off.

I hear this is to become a movie, slated sometime this year. Kind of expected that with all the vampires floating around showbiz.

The Help, Kathryn Stockett
I raved and raved to everyone and anyone who would listen about this book. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. This one also came recommended. So, thank you for that! (you know who you are) I expect this one to become a movie as well in the near future.
It was so real, it was unbelievable. Set during the Civil Rights Movement in Jackson, Mississippi, it follows three young women, relating their tales of race relations from very different perspectives. This one stuck with me for weeks after I read it.

Eye Rhymes, Sylvia Plath's Art of the Visual
I came across this book by accident, really, and found it for $5. Quite a bit of luck, considering it goes for around $50. I've only flipped through it, but what I've seen is really interesting. It just goes to show, there is more to a person than meets the eye. For those who have read anything Plath, you know that there has been much focus on her poetry (particularly the Ariel period) and her suicide/death, but little else. Only recently (within the past 10 years, probably) has there been material popping up on her dealing with the other sides of her life-and death.

Mominatrix's Guide to Sex
Book by fellow Imperfect Parent, Kristen Chase.

These I still have to read:
Still Alice

Reading Lolita in Tehran

A Reliable Wife

Sarah's Key

No comments:

Post a Comment