Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reading "Hate List", Jennifer Brown


Hate List
Jennifer Brown
Little, Brown Publishing
408 pgs., $16.99
ARC ISBN: 978-0-316-06848-2


Recently, I had the opportunity to grab an Advanced Reading Copy of Jennifer Brown's book, Hate List (due out in September 2009 from Little, Brown Publishing). The premise of the book concerns Valerie Leftman who, with her boyfriend Nick, created a 'hate list'-a list of all things and people she and Nick hated. Eventually and somewhat unexpectedly, the boyfriend opens fire in the high school cafeteria using the Hate List as inspiration and Valerie thus lives and deals with the consequences of the shooting in the months afterward.

I found the story to be quite timely, especially with the recent stories of bullying in the news and it's consequences.

I was quite impressed by the book. Even though it is intended for young adults and is marketed as such, I think it has the ability to cross genres. The language of the book captures that of being in high school and is intelligent. The seriousness of the book and its subject is a departure from what Jennifer Brown is most known for: humor; and lets the reader know of her versatility as a writer.

Be sure to grab your own copy when it becomes available in September 09. It'll be worth it.

By the way, I said I'd give a truthful review, whether it was good or bad. I truly enjoyed the book-I'm not just saying I did because she's a colleague of mine!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kris, for writing such a wonderful review! I'm so happy you enjoyed Hate List!

    ReplyDelete