Tuesday, February 26, 2008

MotherTalk: The Liar's Diary

The Liar's Diary
Patry Francis
Plume Books/Penguin
Paperback, 311 pages
$14.00

I don't know how to write this without giving away anything!

Dark, haunting and compelling, The Liar's Diary is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It pulled me in and wouldn't let go till I finished. I was actually 'on the edge of my seat' with this one, eagerly turning pages in anticipation of 'what happened next'.

The first thing that struck me was the way it is written, its voice: It's very human. And, indeed, as you get deeper into the story, you see that theme present itself at every turn. The characters seemed believable, plot, events seemed plausible.

Seduction, secrets, lies: lies we tell ourselves, secrets we hold-the ways we seduce ourselves into thinking 'everything's alright.' All of this in the story plays out quite chillingly.

Patry Francis, an accomplished writer and poet, has delivered her debut novel superbly-so tightly woven, not a loose string anywhere. There are so many twists and turns, unexpected surprises, really a masterful storyteller. Go out, buy this book and read it. You will not be disappointed.

***************

Visit her site

Be sure to look for more reviews at MotherTalk

1 comment:

  1. "Dark, Haunting, and compelling" -- yes to all three! I found myself gripping the pages and not wanting to let go.

    ReplyDelete