You learn new stuff everyday-like which shampoos are so toxic, if you took a lighted match to them, they'd explode. Or which of your baby's shampoos has the potential to cause cancer and a host of other nasty things.
So, I took a look at my bathroom shelves: shampoos, lotions, conditioners, etc.
With the exception of two or three shampoo bottles and a few (very few) odds and ends, it can all get thrown out on the grounds of some form of toxicity. Disgusting.
To determine the level of overall toxicity, I used the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, which is a safety guide to cosmetics and personal care products brought to you by researchers at the Environmental Workers Group. They rate products on a scale of 0-10, 0-2: Low Hazard; 3-6: moderate hazard; 7-10: High hazard.
The biggest offenders?
1. Pantene Pro V Shampoo (basic) with a rating of 5
2. Suave for Kids, with a rating of 5
3. Suave Professionals Series, rating of either 5 or 6
4. Neutrogena Triple Moisture series, rating of 5
5. Aussie Shampoo and gel, rating of 5/6
6.Fructis Shampoo/Conditioner, rating of 6
7 Aveda Color Conserve Conditioner, rating of 7!
8. Desert Essence lotion, rating of 6
9. Nature's Gate Lotion, rating of 3! Yea!
10. Basis Clean Face Wash, rating of 6
Hmmm...That doesn't look so good.