Saturday, December 01, 2007

Mother Talk Review: The Daring Book For Girls


My daughter isn't old enough for this book yet, but as I was browsing through it, I found a bunch of things I did as a kid-God's Eyes, all those hand clap games, jump rope rhymes, friendship bracelets. Who could forget Bloody Mary and the old Light as A Feather, Stiff as a Board trick-a requirement for any sleepover?

One thing in particular I found interesting-the Explorers section. All of the women listed (except for Amelia Earhart, of course), lived to be nearly 100 years old. Amazing.
Perhaps we all need to get out of the house a bit more and explore?

There were a few things that irked me a bit-Every daring girl should know the constellations-at least the basic ones. There wasn't anything on the planets and solar system. I realize it's impossible to include everything daring, the result would be too unwieldy, both in weight and information. Another thing-there's an Arts and Literature badge in the back of the book, but I found the Literature side to be a bit scant-to my mind anyway. Shakespeare was included in The Dangerous Book For Boys, why not Sappho for The Daring Book For Girls?

However, I was glad to see sections on 'How to Change a Tire' (something every girl should know), ' Queens of the Ancient World' and 'Knots and Stitches'.

Overall, this is a book that is packed with great stuff to do that doesn't require texting anyone on your cell phone or downloading anything off the net. This will stay in the hands of girls everywhere and be passed on down the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment