Monday, November 26, 2007

Harper's "Perilous" Request



I got this in the mail the other day. I almost threw it away, but at the last minute, decided to see what it had to say. It was not what I expected.

"The perilous state of your subscription."

I don't think my subscription is in any sort of "perilous" state. If anything is in a "perilous state", it's the publishing industry. With the advent of e-books and on-line publishing, it's possible that the printed book, magazine, etc. will be on its way out. Culture and time might slow down the process, but the possibility remains intact.

As for the "Renewal Index", the data collected does not make me want to renew anything from Harper's.

I'm going to burst the bubble and say Harper's is not the only publication delivering "Intellectual stimulation". The general intellect of America may be on the slide, but that doesn't mean you can't find a decent magazine to get the mind going. Some examples: Women's Review of Books, The Nation, Literary Journals such as Hunger Mountain, Indiana Review and Bellevue Literary Review.

I guess the percentage that chooses not to renew their subscription isn't as clever? How insulting. Could you get any snootier?

I'll get 5 additional reminders to renew my subscription (not including the 5 I've already received)-what a waste of paper! What happened to Eco-consciousness?
Also, badgering your existing subscribers to renew is not the way to go about it.

I thought Poetry's renewal forms were bad!

Harper's just lost a renewal.

Perhaps Harper's needs to revise their approach in getting their readers to renew their subscription.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment