Friday, October 05, 2007

Review: Mama Knows Breast, Andi Silverman



Mama Knows Breast: A Beginner's Guide To Breastfeeding
By Andi Silverman

Published by Quirk Books
Paperback: $14.95, 160 pages
ISBN-10: 1-59- 574-165-4
ISBN-13: 978-1-59474-165-4

If we lived in a society/culture that truly supported women , breastfeeding and everything else that goes along with it (including women's support of each other, familial support and otherwise) there would be no need for this book. However, since we haven't quite reached that point, there is "Mama Knows Breast", by Andi Silverman.

This book is a quick read, yet informative and serious as well as humorous. That can be a rare thing to come by in this genre, the all inclusive 'Mommy Lit', where a majority can be found to favor one or the other school of thought.
Even though my daughter and I are at the end of the breastfeeding path, I did find this helpful and would pass it on to friends. It would make a great baby shower gift!

In her introduction she says "This is a collection of all the things I wish someone had told me when I was pregnant the first time."
Every possible question and situation is addressed with wit and candor; from breastfeeding positions and hold (yes, positioning really does matter) to tandem nursing, getting enough sleep to fashion (it's unrealistic to look like the celebs post-partum, even if they look fabulous) and taking care of yourself. There is also a whole chapter devoted to commonly asked questions. I particularly enjoyed the 'Responding To Critics' section under the Breastfeeding Etiquette chapter. I found I gravitated mostly toward the 'flip' answers.
It is also packed with informative lists, helpful tips, great historical info (under 'Mama Data') and snippets from real moms ('From the Mouths of Moms').

The only thing that bothered me was the illustrations. They were a bit too trendy and annoying to my eye. I mean, who looks like that?

Aside from that, the book and its content was very well organized and informative. I recommend this book to all mothers, but especially those who feel lost in a sea of well-meaning advice and don't have many 'motherly' resources to turn to.

Congratulations Caryn, Winner of Mama Knows Breast Giveaway!

*************
For more information on the book, visit the site. Check out an interview with the author! If you haven't read the previous reviews of this book yet, check them out at Mother-Talk!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kris-- Thanks for the review! I saw you linked to an author Q&A I did for Breastfeeding123. If you have any questions for me, fire away. I'd be happy to answer them.
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, excellent baby shower gift.

    And I'm definitely a "flip" answerer of breastfeeding questions, too.

    But I like the illustrations! I don't look like any of them, obviously... but I like them. I think they're sending me the subconscious message that breastfeeding is cool. :)

    ReplyDelete