Saturday, June 30, 2007

What I'm Reading Right Now

(Or will be soon) A Partial List-

Packaging Girlhood, Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketer's Schemes
Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown, MD

This looks interesting.
Girls are besieged by images in the media that encourage them to pursue accessories over academics; sex appeal over sports; fashion over friendship.


Indeed, the concept of 'tweens' is really disgusting, not to mention padded bras for 6 year olds.
This is a library book, and only a 2-week-er (as in check out for only two weeks at the library), so I will probably end up buying this book somewhere.
Looking forward to reading this.

Ariadne's Thread
Edited by Lyn Lyfshin

Always wanted to read this, but never got around to it. Excerpts from contemporary women's journals, including Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Marge Piercy and Maxine Kumin. I now own it, so I can take my sweet time with it.

Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George

Sometimes I get in the mood for one of these. I read a novel about Elizabeth 1 that was set up like a biography but read as fiction. It was great. Recommend that one too.

Good In Bed, Jennifer Weiner

Haven't read anything of hers all the way through yet. Going to give this one a try.


**I wanted to add Everything Is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer. I saw the movie and, of course, was absolutely stunned. Have read the first few pages of the book today (7/2) and- language! Misnomers! God, it's great.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,





No comments:

Post a Comment