Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Discovery of a Poet

I discovered Wislawa Szymborska awhile back-4 or 5 years ago. I love how she writes. I love her wit, irony and humor. I, somewhat recently, purchased her book of poems, new and collected, published back in '98. It's always interesting (to me, anyway) to see how a poet has evolved her craft in a collected edition spanning, in this case, four decades. A couple that caught my eye were "In Praise of Dreams" and "A Medieval Miniature".

Really, nobody(as a random reader) wants to hear about a random person and what they dreamed the other night. But, everything lies in the language with this poem. Not to mention humor and familiarity. A few favorite lines from "In Praise of Dreams":

I speak fluent Greek
and not just with the living.


A few years ago
I saw two suns.

No comments:

Post a Comment