Monday, October 23, 2006

Some Thoughts On ‘Homebirths, Natural or Foolish’, The Imperfect Parent

I enjoy reading the Imperfect Parent for its diverse views and commentary on various subjects. I catch up on it through my Google Reader whenever I find the time.

I’m not quite sure how to approach this. Let me start off by saying everybody is entitled to their opinion (however different it may be from another’s) and I have no intention of tearing the author down. This is, after all, just my thoughts and opinion.

This article "Homebirths, Natural or Foolish", from the Imperfect Parent really grabbed my attention, planted a bug underneath my skin.

I’m itching as I write.

Nice image, eh?

There seems to be an air to this article suggesting lack of respect in birth choices. We still have that choice, don’t we?

The fact that the author used the word ‘Foolish’ to describe homebirth immediately turned me off and it let me know where she stands. But hey-she’s entitled.

To assume women are going the home birth route because of ‘the man’ and patriarchy is something of misinformation. There are plenty of women who do it because it is just more comfortable. They most likely have a medical back up plan in case something does go wrong. There is also the option of a birthing center-with the feel of home and the backup of medical assistance if need be. There is a lot of ‘false information’ and propaganda floating around about hospitalization is the only ‘safe’ way.

It must be said that there is no ‘safe’ way. A hospital cannot guarantee safety, no matter what you’ve been told. Neither can a home birth. There are dangers in each situation. Life itself is dangerous; we take risks every single day.

obviously, the subject of home birth is a hot one.

Check out the comment on the site by Andrea. She has a link to a tragic story of one woman. She also makes some excellent points.

Homebirth is a choice some women make. A choice that should be respected, by women, men, and doctors alike.

Does this ban me forever from Imperfect Parent?

1 comment:

  1. To answer your question, no, it doesn't ban you from The Imperfect Parent forever, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

    I can understand how you feel-that my blog post was judgemental and I want to come clean with you -- I wrote that piece trying to incite some controversy and as a result, I would say the results were less than stellar.

    In hindsight, I probably should NOT have called mothers that choose to home birth "foolish". Although I don't support the practise for *me*, I know I could have worded it better.

    And in response to your claim that there are more deformities today, I don't know if that's true. Premature babies and deformed babies didn't live as long as they do now, and many died at birth. Same with preemies. My son was born 2 months early. As little as 20 years ago, he probably wouldn't have survived. I think the increase in premature births has much more to do with maternal age. In fact, I think that is pretty well accepted amongst researchers and scientists.

    Anyway, I'm sorry I made you feel as you don't belong at The Imperfect Parent. I guess I've been pretty good at showing my imperfections today.

    Thank you for your response!

    ReplyDelete