Monday, September 04, 2006

The Sound of Silence

I cannot stand the sound of silence. Not so much, however, that I feel the need to fill the dead air with meaningless words, just because it is deadly quiet (as in, let’s say, conversation).

No, no. This is a different sort of brand.

It is the silence when you are alone, when you are sitting up at night, when you are a single mother.

I cannot tell you how often I just put a movie in at night when I am writing, after The Girl is soundly in bed. I don’t even watch it. It’s just there for the noise.

I used to do this before The Girl: While I was at college, my (kinda psycho) roommate had a small portable television. I would turn that thing on while going to sleep, after a hard night’s partying, err studying-keeping it low just to have the sound. She was hardly ever there, anyway.

I did it at the last place I lived (before I had The Girl), where it was just me and my then boyfriend. He never stayed up late into the night as I did, so I’d turn that TV (or radio) on again while I wrote, so I wouldn’t have to listen to the silence.

Why do we do this?

Why is it so hard to accept the sound of silence?

(The sound of silence was nowhere to be found this morning: The Girl got up at 4 am)



1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. We just moved to a lovely new home, in a quite peaceful neighborhood - after living in the center of town on a busy state highway. I find the silence at night unnerving!

    I also tend to have music or radio on in the background all the time. I hate doing it, but I just can't relax with quiet. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete