Monday, September 18, 2006

Hey, My Baby Reads The New Yorker, What Can I Say?


So, the other day, The Girl and I were out on our regular walk around the block. She happened to pick up a magazine on the way out, pretty stealth-like.There was no way I was going to take it away from her at that point: why incite a tantrum when that magazine will keep her busy for about FIFTEEN glorious and quiet minutes while we do errands?

You know what she picked up? The New Yorker. Just a random copy that was laying around the house. In her stroller, she sat, studying the pages in all seriousness, nodding in agreement to this and that article, issuing a little chuckle at one point, turning the pages with slow precision.

A man walking his dog approaches us, slows his stride, says incredulously: "If I only had a camera! She's 'reading' The New Yorker! I have never seen that! Priceless!", and moves on laughing and shaking his head in disbelief.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I LIKE your girl :) I have a photo of my son when he was about 6 months old, lying on the couch, holding up a New Yorker (that he'd picked up on his own) over his head with SUCH a serious expression on his face! Of course I was thrilled.
    Followed your comment from Owlhaven, if you're wondering how I found you, and saw this post's title and was intrigued.

    ReplyDelete